More ways of getting SLXP

Title.

I’m thinking stuff like shooting down enemy ships, killing enemy players, placing a large amount of blocks, breaking a large amount of blocks, crafting a lot, just stuff done when playing a lot so you don’t have to trade to level up.

I don’t know about shooting down ships and people, that sounds like it’d bring back the old killing toxicity. Those other things sound very easy to abuse. However, I think we do need new ways to make XP and money for people who don’t like to or cannot afford to trade. @Shady0879 @FoxenBoxen @Xarulok ideaaaas?

I agree with you.

My two pesos, is that it ought to involve mining. Right now there’s very little reason to startup and power my drill. I know some people really enjoy mining, and the new ores you have here in SL like Copper, Aluminum, just make that more exciting. It would be nice to have that aspect of the economy running so that some in our nation could mine, some trade, and some work on food or defense or whatever. It’s nice if they can be rewarded for how they contribute.

Here’s a (hopefully simple) idea for consideration:

Since we have many more trade points now, and each planet has resources that cannot be gotten at that planet, perhaps the importer will buy different resources at different places. So Diamonds can’t be sold on Syre, but you could sell wood trunks there. Perhaps you get a small fraction of XP with the sale. Even if you’re a miner only, someone will deliver them for a cut of the money. Anyway, an idea to consider. I think you were considering something like this in the past because /value used to list value by station.

~ Mage

only problem with selling ores to NPCs is we want to get people to do more player trade, but… Meh. I suppose we could just allow selling ores at trade cities, the type of ore depending on the system.

More discussion on bounties -> Bounties system

By the way, I think it’s actually plausible to allow some form of killing resulting in XP, but it has to be done right, so there’s no grinding kills like before. I think in addition to limits on it, you could get XP by killing equal or greater size ships than your ships - would also encourage the use of smaller ships.

I think you should just get points for killing ships with cargo crates but also there should be some way to tell who is carrying cargo and I love the bounty idea I think the main source of xp should be through theese two things

I think that newer players trying to get XP to rank or money for advancements most likely won’t resort to trying to kill to get it. Mostly because they won’t have any good tech or ships.

Not saying killing shouldn’t be an option for XP, I think if it could be done without the toxicity it would greatly enhance the game.

But I think the bigger issue is what to do for the new player who maybe wasted money on less important advancements or someone who got pirated and is now too broke to afford crates.

Resource gathering is the obvious choice, especially for Minecraft. But I don’t really like it being as before where things have a /value and you just sell to npcs.

Perhaps some NPCs generate resource gathering missions with random resources wanted. Would maybe control it a little bit?

Ooooor what if maybe players could pay to post a mission to NPC outposts for resources wanted… they would set amount to pay, and how much needed. A new/broke player could easily view these in game select and complete similar to a crate mission. Upon completion maybe both parties get xp?

Edit: To place missions, accept the missions, and pick up resources from a completed mission you would have to go to the npc outpost to increase flying time I think.

Edit2: Accepting and completing a mission from an enemied player gives additional XP and adds to your “bounty” from other thread, for smuggling.

Phenomenal. Not sure why having resource gathering missions wasn’t something we were discussing (to my knowledge) before

It already was planned, not just under discussion

Obviously it could use some polishing. But I would really like to see the bit of getting a little extra XP and adding to your bounty if shipping to enemy cities.

And I would use the crap out of a system to make newbs get my resources lol. It would kind of be server facilitated player to player trade.

So here is the list of ideas I have seen:

• Mining
  • Trading
  • Resource Gathering
  • Killing
  • Bounties Hunting

My Ideas:

• Basic Parts of Survival, such as Mining, Farming, possibly Crafting, and Fighting Mobs.
  • Exploring Planets
  • Achievements, not like the default ones, but custom ones such as: “Join a nation!” or “Print your first ship!”

I think those are great ideas for noobs to get XP. They’d give enough XP for noobs to level up but not enough to seriously grind for the very high levels. (You can get as high as 1000xp with larger ships in one trade run, so there’s plenty of room for a gap)

Might be a good way to encourage noobs to join nations too

Maybe as the owner of a trade city, get like 5xp every time someone completes an assignment at your city? Or as a nation owner get an amount every time a new settlement that hasn’t been a part joins your nation?

I don’t think there should be any sort of completely passive XP gaining methods. XP should be something you invariably have to work for

Resources aren’t infinite, and the hardcore colonists/generally wealthy people used up lots of resources to gain money. The lack of XP from gathering resources caused the drain of resources to slow. If we were to add some way to get money/XP from selling resources, it should be to other players, so the resources stay in circulation instead of vanishing to be an offering to the space whale or whatever. Perhaps smelting an ore can gift an extremely small amount of SLXP, so mining can earn XP without having to get rid of the resources.

If someone was to worry about a player having lots of resources from doing such, without a need to sell them, there wouldn’t be much point. Many miners who don’t sell their resources donate it to nations, or sell it to other players who don’t spend as much time in mining.

(Or maybe it’s just the Qusmubian in me that thinks this, yet again, Candurous made a pretty big hole to get all that money)