Interceptor - New Ship Class

Ok. Most people here know about the new Interdictor ship class, with improved gravity wells. I was thinking of another ship class: The Interceptor, made for quick raids and getaways.

But why would this be useful?

I’ll tell you why.
Speed.
Interceptors would have a fast hyperspace charge time and increased navcomputer range. This would allow for fast transportation, attacks, and getaways. The ship would probably not be useful in a direct battle, but for quick raids it would be very useful to jump in, blow things up, and jump out.

But something like this would be overpowered!

Not if it had a drawback. I was thinking that since it has more hyperspace power, it probably wouldn’t be able to support as much energy generation. The ship would generate less power, making it weaker in a fight, but most of the time interceptors would avoid fighting. These ships are made to raid transport ships and capture stations, not get into a direct fight with a fleet. Just some thoughts on this. Give my idea some feedback!

Thanks for reading this!
– Avion

Sounds like a cool idea

This… is literally suggesting Interdictors…

They’re the exact same kind of ship.

ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN:

• Interdictors are fast. Not cruise-wise, but shift-flying. They might be the fastest ships in the realm of shift-flying, but I’m not sure about it.
  • Interdictors have increased nav-computer ranges. While they aren’t faster at charging their hyperdrive (I think), they serve the same purpose.
  • To quote: “The ship would not be useful in a direct battle, but for quick raids it would be very useful to jump in, blow things up, and jump out.” Something tells me this ship type would perform horribly at raiding on planets. The overall ship premise revolves around speed, which isn’t highly sought after for pirates looking to raid, well, anything land-based (pun intended).
  • Hyperdrive power usage only drains power when in use and when it does, drains ALL power.
  • Again, Interdictors do this. Interdictors have a decreased power output because of their size and their purpose.
  • This last thought, “are made to raid transport ships and capture stations, not get into a direct fight with a fleet” makes me think you’ve never flown an Interdictor-- or seen one for that matter. Interdictors are fleet-support ships. They can go solo, but only against smaller class ships. They are not meant to be the big fighting ship, but a mere asset. This is what an Interdictor is for.

Overall, this is just a description of Interdictors. Nothing is really new about it except that it takes what is good about Interdictors and tosses it out the window. The speed-demons of these worlds are Corvettes and Starfighters. Interdictors deal with entirely different situations-- which are the same ones you gave as examples for the Interceptors --and thus, since the premises of both the ship types are so similar, the Interceptor would always be out-performed by it’s big brother-- the Interdictor.

Harsh. And true. But that’s the point. The Interceptor is meant to be a noob ship.

Micle doesn’t like other ship classes I’m told. I sorta like the idea but It’s really just fighters but with fast hyperdrive.